Contact Us | Help
Career resources for New Mexico school teachers and administrators

NM Options for Licensure

If you already have a bachelor’s degree or higher, you can earn your license through one of the following pathways and begin teaching now on an intern license.

1. Alternative Licensure Program
Fulfill the requirements for earning your NM teaching license through a two-year alternative licensure program to earn a teaching certificate. The following are links to approved alternative licensure programs in New Mexico:

Central New Mexico Community College (CNM)
Clovis Community College
Eastern New Mexico University
New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology
New Mexico State University (online program available)
Northern New Mexico College
San Juan College
Santa Fe Community College (online program available)
University of New Mexico
Western New Mexico University

2. Online Portfolio for Alternative Licensure (OPAL)
Fulfill the requirements for earning your NM teaching license by completing a portfolio that demonstrates to the reviewers of your online portfolio submission how you meet the requirements for a Level I license. Other than the portfolio requirements, include evidence of passing 3–6 hours of reading courses and evidence of passing the three NMTAs.

3. Master’s degree with teacher preparation
Earn your master’s degree while earning your teaching license. The following are links to programs that offer this combination:

Eastern New Mexico University
Grand Canyon University
New Mexico Highlands University
New Mexico State University
University of New Mexico College of Education
University of Phoenix
Wayland Baptist University
Western New Mexico University
University of the Southwest

Copyright © 2017 University of New Mexico College of Education. All rights reserved.
Supported by the Educator Quality Division at the New Mexico Public Education Department